I first encountered Lomo Saltado at a popular Peruvian Latin restaurant in West Los Angeles, where it quickly became a favorite of mine. The flavor combination was Tantalizing - a perfect blend of ingredients. Sautéed strips of beef, onions, tomatoes, garlic, and soy sauce , tossed in french fries. What could taste better? I even ordered and extra dish to go, so I could slowly savor another plate .
Lomo saltado is a very popular chinese- peruvian fusion dish – Chinese stir fry technique fused with peruvian ingredients. What makes it peruvian is the chili sauce ( aji amarillo paste) and cilantro in addition to the other generic ingredient tossed with fench fries for textural contrast.
One of the joys of cooking at home is the freedom to add or reduce any ingredients that you are not particularly fond of , I did just that with this dish I added parsley and used Siracha sauce to suit my taste buds. Do the same and make this dish your own or just follow the recipe.
A couple of things to take into consideration when making this dish:
- As always with stir frying the cooking is done very quickly ,so make sure all your ingredients are ready to hit the wok
- Sirloin steak or better quality steak is best suited for stir frying in this recipe
- You can make your own french fries instead of using frozen ones.Crispy fries works best
- Do spice up the meat with any spices you like .
Serve it over white rice as is customary
- ½ lb sirloin beef, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 tomato scliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 Small green pepper sliced
- 1 pound bag of frozen French fries
- salt to taste
- green onion and cilantro for garnish
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp aji amarillo paste
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- Preheat oven and bake fries according to packaging instructions
- Prepare and gather all ingredients needed.
- Combine the ingredients for sauce ; oyster sauce, soy sauce, lemon, and aji amarillo paste or sriracha. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in skillet or wok over medium to high heat. Season the beef strips with salt and stir-fry the beef in skillet, about 30 seconds. Followed by the garlic and ginger, stir-fry about 30 seconds(be careful not to let it burn)
- Throw in the onions, green pepper and tomatoes, stir-fry about 30 seconds.
- Finally add the fries and the sauce, stir-fry for a minute
- Remove from the heat and mix in the green onion and cilantro or parsley, stir-fry about 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately. Squeeze lemon over it or not your preference